Oxford English Dictionary Internship Editor
The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) is pleased to announce that it will be running a paid internship programme for 2019, which will run for five weeks over the summer in our Oxford offices.
About the OED
The OED is the foremost historical dictionary of the English language, and covers the meaning, history, and pronunciation of 600,000 words—past and present—from across the English-speaking world. The OED project comprises a team of editors working on general non-technical vocabulary, and a team of science editors to work on terminology in the sciences, maths, and technology.
There are two internship positions available, one with the Science Team and one with the General Team.
The internship gives the individual an idea of what being an OED editor involves and an opportunity to contribute to the dictionary itself, including:
- drafting entries for new words to be added to the OED
- drafting new senses of existing words
- adding quotations to OED entries from a range of online databases
- training in OED’s editorial software
- opportunities to talk to other members of the OED team and learn about their work
- opportunities to learn about OUP’s other dictionary projects
Successful candidates will be able to:
- write clearly and concisely in a style accessible to a general readership
- retrieve and assimilate information in diverse fields
- distinguish between different senses of the same word
- demonstrate a practical, discerning approach to research
- produce consistently high-quality and accurate work
- demonstrate specialized knowledge of a scientific subject
Candidates applying to work in the Science Team should additionally:
- demonstrate specialized knowledge of a scientific subject.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 13th January 2019. Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete an aptitude test and may be called for interview. Travel expenses for interview will be reimbursed, or Skype interviews will be made available for those candidates based outside the UK.
OUP is an equal opportunities employer and supports flexible working arrangements. We welcome applicants from diverse non-academic backgrounds and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Как подать заявку на эту работу
To apply please visit: https://public.oed.com/about/oed-internships/